Thursday, September 20, 2007

Let's Pretend!


"I go bye-bye. Got my purse and my bible, all ready go"
Where was she going? "Don' know, jus' bye-bye"


"AYYYE MATEY!! Guess who I am Momma!" - As a hint, he had just been watching Peter Pan. By the way, that's the dough hook to my electric mixer that he has in his hand.
I had a friend tell me the other day that she met a child who literally could not "play pretend" and I was astounded. I thought that was someting all kids did all the time like ours do! It's kind of sad to think of all of the fun that that child was missing out on, not to mention that it is probably developmentally concerning if a child can't take what he or she sees in the world around them and learn from it through play. How else do you figure out what a mommy is and does or what a vetrinarian does?
Some days the most enjoyable part of my day is watching these two pretend to care for the "really, really sick Komodo Dragon" with my stethoscope and a wooden spoon (turns out he needed surgery "'cause hurt back like momma"); or seeing them working side by side at the toy kitchen to prepare a "meal" for me (it was "apple soup with lots of salt" and "butter" - SSG AJ thinks butter is one of the four food groups).
It is amazing the way God has made their minds to work and learn from such a young age!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hunh. My kid loves butter too......